The “Le Corbusier” collection, as it has been called since the nineteen seventies. been a collection withoutthe collaboration of Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret and Charlotte Perriand either. Charlotte Perriand was a furniture designer, and was the partner of Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret. This range of furniture was produced by Thonet from 1930 under the name “Le Corbusier, P. Jeanneret, Ch. Perriand” and was included in the “Des casiers, des chaises et des tables” (containers, seats and tables) concept conceived by Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret in 1925.
Heidi Weber, a gallery-owner in Zurich, launched a collection containing a restyled Chaise longue basculante, Fauteuil à dossier basculant and Fauteuil grand confort, grand et petit modèle in Switzerland in 1959. These pieces were built by local artisans and were baptised “le corbusier sitzmöbel/ sièges/chairs”. Distribution was very limited and each model bore the initials “LC”.
Heidi Weber engaged the company Cassina S.p.A. of Meda to manufacture these four models in 1964 when the Maison de l’homme was being built in Zurich.
The Italian company Cassina acquired the production and sales rights to these models designed in 1928 by Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret and Charlotte Perriand by contract dated 23 October 1964. The exclusive rights to manufacture and sell these models were extended from Italy to Europe, to the Americas in 1967 and the whole world in 1971.
The LC collection was also extended to include a furniture series designed by Le Corbusier alone in 2010, with the series marking a return to nature by the great architect as he pared the wooden pieces back down to the essentials.